Tuesday 14 April 2015

Viber on 32 bit Linux in 2015

Viber is available for Linux in 64 bit Deb and RPM packages, but not in 32 bit.  There are some work arounds for running the 64 bit packages in 32 bit, but I can never get the things to run.

I tried installing the Windows exe file using Wine, but that failed as well.  At the time of writing, 11th April 2015, Viber is at about V5.1.something.  This is what I did to get it runnng on Mint 17 XFCE 4.12.  I have not tested it with video or voice, as I didn;t have an active web cam.  But I did test it in chat, and it was fine.  I don't use a cam, so I cannot help there.

This is long winded, but it should work.  Watch for the 'backslash and space' in any Windows (Wine) paths where folder names have spaces.  Miss one and nothing works.  If Viber won;t run, chances are you got one wrong, so step throud using cd folder and ls each one as you go until you fine one that won;t open.  Then check if there's a space.  Remember Windows is a BACK slash and a Space.
So: /Folder/Another Folder/Application  would be written in a command or script as:   /Folder/Another\ Folder/Application

OK  Here Goes:
Install PlayOnLinux

Download Viber for Windows.
Install the ViberSetup.exe or Viber.exe (whatever whatever it was called) using PlayOnLinux.

Now that's not as easy as it sounds, but on Mint 17 XFCE 4.12 this is what I think I did:

Open PlayOnLinux.  It was in Menu, Games, PlayOnLinux.
On the right, choose Install a Program.
When the Install Menu opens, look at the bottom and click on Install a non-listed program
The Manual Installation dialog will open, click Next
If you have NOT used PlayOnLinux before, click on install a program in a new virtual drive
Type in a name for your new virtual drive WITH NO SPACES
Click Next and Follow the rest of the prompts
Now, Mr Intelligence here forgot to type in a name, so I ended up with a virtual drive called "_"
Yep, my drive is in a folder called 'underscore'.
You should be asked if you want to Use another version of Wine. Configure Wine or Install some libraries.
I messed around configuring Wine, but I suspect I may not have had to.
Once you get through this stuff you shoud be asked to Please select the install file to run.
Click Browse and find the installation file wherever you downloaded it. 
In my case, in a folder called Software Downladed/Viber
Click the Viber.exe file and wait.

It 'SHOULD" install to the following directory - but it could take some finding. 
Do a searh for Viber.exe in your file manager and you should fine it in something like this below:  

/home/ross/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/_/drive_c/users/ross/Local Settings/Application Data/Viber/Viber.exe

Find executable and open with PlayOnLinux and SAVE the association Always Open This Type etc..
Once it has opened, you will be asked to provide your phone number.  A pin code will be sent to your mobile.
Enter the pn and Viber should open.  If you already have Viber on a device, you shoudl see your contacts.
Once you veryfy it is working, close Viber and close PlayOnLinux.

Then use this command in a terminal to start Viber.  NOTE playonlinx Terminal command is in LOWER case.

playonlinux /home/ross/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/_/drive_c/users/ross/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Viber/Viber.exe

Viber for Windows does not like to shut down in Linux so I Kill Viber with this (I made an executable script).
In my Mint 17 if I don;t kill Viber Process after I close the actual Viber Program, my monitors shut down and they don't want to start again.
---------------
#!/bin/bash
pkill Viber.exe
# Kills Wine version of Viber.
# Needed for now because Viber causes monitor power save mode to cut in.
---------------

I tried adding pkill playonlinux, but while it kills the process it doesn't seem to close the PlayOnLinux window :-(

Once that is done you should be able to use the command in a script, a link or a launcher.
I opened my /home/me/Desktop folder and Right Clicked in the folder and created a 'Link ro Application'
then I just pasted this into the Command box on the Application tab:
playonlinux /home/ross/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/_/drive_c/users/ross/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Viber/Viber.exe

Next I changed the icon for the Viber icon and put VIBER in the Name field.  I left the Work path empty.

I hope this helps a few people who want to use Viber in 32 bit Linux.

RossD.

No comments:

Post a Comment