Monday 16 June 2014

Linux MINT 17 KDE

I noticed that the KDE version of Linux Mint 17 was available, so I downloaded it and yesterday I got it up and running.

I noticed a few annoying things while I was doing this.  I run two versions of Mint on my computer at any given time.  I have a partition for the version I am currently using, and a partition for the old version.  If anything goes wrong or I don;t like the old version, or if I tweak something in the new version as I am doing now, and screw stuff up, i can choose the old version from GRUB boot menu and reinstall the new one.



At the moment I am playing with a script I wrote than could break stuff, so it is a nice thing to be able to just swap between them.

HOWEVER!  There is a program in Mint that should allow me to backup files so I can restore them to my new installation.  I don;t worry about it for saved files and documents because I have a separate /home/ partition and another where lots of important stuff is duplicated before being copied to external drives.

I DID want to backup my list of programs so I could easily restore the stuff I had installed on Mint 16, into my shiny new Mint 17.

It didn't work.  MintBackup opened ok, and allowed me to choose an option to backup a list of programs I had installed.  Then it asked me to choose a destination to save the list.  Not good, Neddy.  As soon as I hit continue, the program exited.  So I opened Mintbackup again, went through the password thing and chose a different file.  Same problem, exit.

I tried a few versions of this procedure, all with the same result, then just gave up.

With that out of the way though, Mint 17 is running well.  There are a few little glitches, but I think they are operator error so far.  Clem and the team have put out another release that will see even more people discovering that Computing does not mean Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment