Saturday 3 May 2014

KDE Ghost Windows and Dialogs - Faster YouTube - Mint and Ubuntu

I had an annoying problem with Mint 16 KDE where using
Right click > Send to > Desktop # was leaving a ghost
of the window on my desktop, and the ghost window does not go away until I
change desktops. I also had a problem with some dialog boxes remaining after their program exited.




I went back over the stuff I had changed recently and found I had
a problem with System Settings > Desktop Effects.

Open System Settings > Desktop Effects then the All Effects tab.
Scroll down to Appearance, then to Translucency. 


Open the settings icon (looks like a spanner) and
turn translucency OFF for Decorations.
That is, move the slider all the way to the RIGHT.
Click OK


Now try sending a window to a different desktop.
You may find this also fixes the ghost dialog boxes if you have them.

This problem seems to affect KDE 4.11.5. I am think I used the same settings in earlier versions
without this problem.




Download Speed for YouTube

Sometimes YouTube videos are slow to run and choppy, stopping and starting.
This method 'might' make them stream better and play more smoothly especially
at higher resolutions. There is also the code to turn them back to normal if it
screws up anything else in Mint.


In a console, type these and press enter after each one, then restart your computer.

sudo iptables -A INPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j REJECT
sudo iptables -A INPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j REJECT

*********************
to undo these commands,
To CHANGE things BACK if there is a problem, use ACCEPT instead of REJECT.
these commands 'SHOULD work'.
sudo iptables -A INPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -A INPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j ACCEPT

No comments:

Post a Comment